Thursday, October 14, 2010

Post 1

I recently attended my freshmen seminar course on Thursday, September 2nd. Due to delays from the ilab I could not get access to the Internet until now. Despite the time that has passed, I remember Dr. Carr’s presentation very well. It was informative as well as inspiring. His presentation was especially effective because he seemed very passionate about what he was saying. His lecture was entitled “Learning, Wisdom and the African World Experience: An Mbongi“. He mainly discussed the meaningful accomplishments that Africa had to contribute to the world. Many of those are rudimentary skills that society today may take for granted. These accomplishments include writing, reading and counting. He emphasized who exactly we had to thank for these great discoveries, our very own ancestors. The credit of these discoveries go to Djehuti. Djehuti’s pathway is focused around principles of intelligence, memory, wisdom, and the arts and sciences. Other symbols of Djehuti include improvising and applied knowledge. One line in particular that I remember Dr. Carr saying was “don’t accept the freedom to be mediocre”. That line more than anything else caught my attention. As much as our ancestors fought for equal rights, there is that one we shouldn’t accept. Being a student at Howard gives me the tools to be extraordinary. Not just an extrodinary African American in DC, but an exemplary citizen of the world. There are so many opportunities in life that shouldn’t be taken for granted and I refuse to be one of the people who does take them for granted.

  • Henrietta Egbo

No comments:

Post a Comment