Dr. Cain Felder’s Lecture
Sept. 23rd, 2010
I felt that Dr. Felder’s lecture was just a much religiously based, as it was factual.
I say that because I feel he used religion as the basis to explain modern justice and laws. He began his lecture on September 23rd 2010, introducing religion as a phenomenon that documents the existence of human beings (early origins of various religions were carried through the cultures of different groups of people) and the manmade divide it created in the modern world. He applied this same logic to his explanation of The Black Diaspora.
He began by making it a point that, “ We are a people of the day before yesterday” and I truly believe this statement. He explained that statement to mean that slavery, in the grand scheme of history, was only yesterday but that we existed before it and we will continue to exist after it. He said that as a race we must understand this in order to see that we have a greater potential instead of dooming ourselves from the very start. He introduced the African slaves’ transportation to the next world as a huge tragedy in that, being ripped from their native lands and customs they ultimately lost the power to see beyond their current desperation. This left them susceptible to used and controlled by the Europeans.
The most memorable thing I felt Dr. Felder mentioned though, was that it is the nature of human beings to abuse power once they get it. I feel that this is very true, even in the modern world today. It’s how they crucified Jesus; it’s how slavery began; its how Hitler killed almost all the Jews in Europe; and its how people will continue to be. Hence is why the idea (in this capitalist world) that a race must suffer at one point for another to gain, makes absolute sense to me.
I am not a product of shackles and neither is my mindset, much rather I am the product of brief misfortune.
Total:333 words (assignment 250 min.)
No comments:
Post a Comment