Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blog 6

This week’s presentation was by Segun Gbadesesin of Howard University. It was called “OMOLUABI: Self Actualization and Communal Responsibility”. According to this presentation, there were goddess’s and pharaohs. There was also a variety of texts. A few were entitled the Pyramid Texts and the Coffin texts. Ancient Egyptians practiced several things. Some of which are truth, justice, order, harmony and balance. Once again this presentation brings up the ideas of ma’at. Some are “I have not committed sin, I have not committed robbery with violence, I have not stolen, I have not slain men or women, and I have not cursed.” There are a lot more but I would not be able to fit them all in this blog. The Coffin Texts I talked about earlier date back to 2200-1800 BCE. These were written for the tombs of nobles in their society. Those outlined ideas of punishment and reward in the afterlife. But more recently, a 1962 Time magazine article suggested that those texts were an inspiration for the lawgiver Moses. Egypt is bonded to the African world Physically, Metaphysically, and spiritually. Olmoluabi is a child of the forgotten chief of iwa. A child of iwa is a person of admirable character. That person is disciplined and has earned respect from his or her peers. Iwa is the good of existence. “immortality is the good of existence”. The key to success is knowledge. Every student should strive for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment