Friday, December 3, 2010

African Burial ground trip

Recently, freshman seminar went on a trip to The African Burial Ground in New York. The 3 hour drive on the bus made me very lethargic, but I still was awake enough to retain the information I saw at the burial grounds. What is the significance of such a place you ask? The significance of this place comes from slavery during the 1600s-1800s. This burial ground is related to the earliest slave revolts. At the time, New York had the most slaves per household. The ratio to Europeans to Africans was 5 to 1.This land was first used as common ground until the late 18th century. Africans buried their fellow killed slaves in places like these. Those slaves were killed during the Revolutionary War and as a result of slave revolts. The burial ground contained a lot of artwork. One of my personal favorites was entitled “America Song” by Clyde Lynds. This was a stone carving that included fiber optics. It was finished in 1995 and is a tribute to the history of all people who strived for freedom. At night you can see the fibber optics emitting light across the sculpture. Under the sculpture is a poem that reads:

“I want to be free

Want to be free,

Rainbow’ round my shoulder

Wings on my feet”

This trip was very educational as well as enjoyable. There was a lot of history here that I previously did not know about

No comments:

Post a Comment